14/01/22 - COVID and home insurance - a reminder we're here to help
Here are some answers to the most frequently asked questions - if you have a specific question which is not answered here, please contact us and we'll be happy to help.
A change in circumstances
• Working from home - as a reminder of our current stance, we do not need to know if this is of a clerical nature only. If it's non-clerical, please let us know the details in the usual way.
• Owner occupied home becomes unoccupied - if an owner occupied home becomes unoccupied, cover normally restricts after 30 or 60 days, depending on the product. This remains unchanged, however if a claim occurs and the period of occupancy has exceeded the limit due to the impact of coronavirus (e.g. stuck abroad or self-isolating at a second home) then we'll consider each case individually, looking to take a sympathetic approach in adherence with government guidelines.
Policy conditions with timescales
We will look to take a sympathetic stance regarding policyholder circumstances on policy conditions which dictate that an action should occur at regular intervals or at a specific time, where at the time of making a claim the condition could not be met due to restrictions caused by coronavirus. Here are some examples:
- Unoccupied home - 14 day (unless amended) inspection warranty.
- Retreat & Retreat Overseas holiday homes - 30 day inspection / turn off water when not in use.
- Let property - 30 day inspection when unoccupied, 14 day unoccupied escape of water exclusion, 6 monthly inspection.
- HomeWorks/PropertyWorks - 7 day inspection, 30 day cover restriction after works cease.
Underwriter requirements with timescales
Where we've applied a clause to the policy which has a requirement to be completed within a certain timescale, we will be happy to consider extensions where this cannot be achieved due to the current crisis. Please contact the relevant Underwriting team with your extension request. Examples are:
- Security installations (alarms, fire alarms, locks, safes)
- Jewellery inspection
Confirming cover at new business and renewal
For renewals we are temporarily allowing a period of grace of 28 days.
For both new business and mid-term adjustments where there's a notification delay due to Covid we're happy to look at each case individually regarding back dated cover.
Where we are unable to offer renewal terms due to our underwriting stance, we're happy to allow the policyholder 28 days from the renewal date to seek alternative cover - if an extension is required to the 28 days, please let us know.
Speak to us
If there are any changes to our stance we will inform you well in advance - in the meantime please contact us if you have any questions.
We're here to help.