COVID-19 - Its impact on home insurance and how we're helping
We're here to help
COVID-19 is causing uncertainty to every aspect of daily life - we want to provide you and our policyholders with comfort about our stance on the effects of the current crisis.
Here are some answers to FAQ's we've received recently - if you have a specific question not answered here, please email email@example.com and we'll be happy to help.
A change in circumstances
- Working from home - as a reminder of our current stance, we do not need to know if this is of a clerical nature only. If it's non-clerical, please let us know the details in the usual way
- Owner occupied home becomes unoccupied - if an owner occupied home becomes unoccupied, cover normally restricts after 30 or 60 days, depending on the product. This remains unchanged, however if a claim occurs and the period of occupancy has exceeded the limit due to the impact of coronavirus (eg stuck abroad or self isolating at a second home) then we'll consider each case individually, looking to take a sympathetic approach in adherence with government guidelines
Policy conditions with timescales
We will look to take a sympathetic stance regarding policyholder circumstances on policy conditions which dictate that an action should occur at regular intervals or at a specific time, where at the time of making a claim the condition could not be met due to restrictions caused by coronavirus. Here are some examples:
- Unoccupied home - 14 day (unless amended) inspection warranty
- Retreat & Retreat Overseas holiday homes - 30 day inspection / turn off water when not in use
- Let property - 30 day inspection when unoccupied, 14 day unoccupied escape of water exclusion, 6 monthly inspection
- HomeWorks/PropertyWorks - 7 day inspection, 30 day cover restriction after works cease
Underwriter requirements with timescales
Where we've applied a clause to the policy which has a requirement to be completed within a certain timescale we will be happy to consider extensions where this cannot be achieved due to the current crisis. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your extension request. Examples are:
- Security installations (alarms, fire alarms, locks, safes)
- Jewellery inspection
Confirming cover at new business or renewal
For renewals we will temporarily allow a period of grace of 28 days.
For both new business and mid term adjustments where there's a notification delay due to the current crisis we're happy to look at each case individually regarding back dated cover.
Where we are unable to offer renewal terms due to our underwriting stance, we're happy to allow the policyholder 28 days from the renewal date to seek alternative cover - if an extension is required to the 28 days, please let us know.
Speak to us
Please let us know if you have any further questions by emailing email@example.com
We will update you again when things return to normal.
We're here to help - stay safe and we look forward to hearing from you.